Native American Fry Bread
Write a review
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 4 cups shortening for frying
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Stir in 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water. Knead until soft but not sticky. Shape dough into balls about 3 inches in diameter. Flatten into patties 1/2 inch thick, and make a small hole in the center of each patty.
- Fry one at a time in 1 inch of hot shortening, turning to brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove fry bread to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
Chef Ursula http://www.chefursula.com/